Guest Care Manager
The below job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by team members assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and is subject to changes and exceptions at the discretion of senior management.
Job Title: Guest Care Manager
Position Purpose: Logistically manage the retail, salon and spa service areas with a primary focus on identifying business opportunities and ensure guest care is above expectations. Support the day to day management of the store operations. Responsible for being a store leader to motivate the Professional team to achieve sales goals, ensure proper procedures are being utilized and that customer’s expectations are exceeded. Partner with other Managers to provide support and coaching to Nurtur Professionals in order for them to obtain business growth, professionalism and education.
Competencies: Everyone in the organization must demonstrate these competencies:
- Initiative: Taking ownership of our work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
- Guest Focus: Striving for high guest satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the guest rather than our department or the salon
- Efficiency: Planning ahead, managing time well, being on time, being cost conscious, thinking of better ways to do things
- Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team- oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
- Quality/Compliance: Achieving a standard of excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring Nurtur the Salon policies and all regulatory requirements
- Communication: Balancing listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others, keeping others informed.
- Coach-ability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement
Essential Job Functions: The duties noted below are considered to be essential job functions for one of the following reasons: performance of duty is why the job exists, failure to perform the duty may have serious consequences, limited number of employees available to perform duty, or the duty requires special skills.
- 70% of time is spent educating guests on product knowledge, service specials and pre-booking appointments
- 20% of time is spent providing AVEDA rituals to guests
- 10% of time is spent on special projects
Description of Duties:
- Demonstrate a strong understanding that the spa/salon industry is “high touch,” meaning that it requires strong interpersonal skills and attention to the needs of others. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability to be both positive and cooperative
- Ability to empathize with others
- Ability to be aware of my impact on others
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to accept and use feedback from instructors, staff and students
- Ability to motivate myself
- Ability to learn from experience
- Ability to deal with frustration in a constructive manner
- Ability to deal with conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to express feelings effectively and appropriately
- Ability to take responsibility for myself
- Ability to demonstrate self-knowledge, self-acceptance, and emotional stability
- Ability to demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Continually be focused on hospitality, guest care and service excellence. This includes but is not limited to:
- Each guest is to be verbally greeted in a kind and welcoming manner.
- Serve each service and retail guest a beverage.
- Treat every guest as if it is their first visit to Nurtur the Salon.
- Build relationships with guests by remembering their name and building a personal connection with them.
- Provide a tour of the Salon and Spa to all new guests.
- During times when traffic is slow, provide support to other team members to ensure guest satisfaction is met during their service experience. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Assisting the guest service team with making confirmation calls and scheduling appointments.
- Cleaning, dusting and restocking shelves.
- Maintaining back bar products in the color area, shampoo room and styling stations.
- Assisting team members who are working with guests.
- Maintaining and enhancing the overall look of the salon by replacing light bulbs, sweeping floors, mopping floors, vacuum floors, cleaning restrooms, collecting trash / recycling, laundry, hot towels are replenished in hot towel cabby, sanitize the shampoo beds, bowls and zero gravity chairs, sanitizing implements, dishes, replenishing and refreshing hospitality table, oiling hardwood surfaces, check magazines to ensure issues are current and the pages are in good condition, clean hair traps in shampoo bowls, providing an overall sanitary environment.
- Assist in completing the Aveda Points of Difference service cycle with every service guest as determined by Nurtur. The service cycle includes, but is not limited to:
- Reservation (scheduling of initial appointment)
- Welcome (greet each guest with “Welcome to Nurtur” or “Welcome to Aveda,” offer a beverage and a tour of the Salon and Spa)
- Consultation (discover needs of guest, outline products being used for service to achieve results, offer visual tools for suggestions and clarify objective, quote pricing for the service, discuss future maintenance)
- Stress Relieving Ritual (head, neck and should massage techniques in zero gravity chair or a hand and arm massage techniques)
- Shampoo Ritual (includes shampoo plus scalp massage)
- Service Ritual (haircut, color)
- Finishing Touch (quick make up application)
- AVEDA Homecare (product recommendations)
- Save the Date (pre-booking)
- Follow the Aveda service cycle with every retail guest as determined by Nurtur. The service cycle includes, but is not limited to:
- Connect (welcome each guest with “Welcome to Nurtur” or “Welcome to Aveda,” offer a beverage and a tour of the Salon and Spa)
- Discover Needs (do a consultations with each guest, ask at least 3 questions to determine their needs with their skin/hair)
- Offer Solutions (recommend a product system of at least 3 products, demonstrate the use of those products through an Aveda
- Ritual- Stress Relieving Ritual, Hand
- Ritual, Finishing Touch, Sensory Journey, ask for the sale and tell the guest about Pure Privilege)
- Save the Date (schedule a date for a service with Nurtur the Salon and give the guest a menu of services)
- Coach the Nurtur Professional team to ensure they are focused on hospitality, guest care and service excellence.
- Daily support to guests to ensure their satisfaction is met during their service experience.
- Support company initiatives by ensuring productivity goals are met through managing the appointment book. This includes, but is not limited to: creating availability, up-selling services, etc.
- Oversee the planning, coordination and execution of a complete and accurate physical inventory as required.
- Create and utilize existing systems to ensure the Inventory budget is met.
- Ensure that inventory levels are within the model quantities established. Work with the Aveda Institute to balance inventory levels between locations.
- Develop strategies to achieve retail and service goals and objectives.
- Ensuring the Guest Care Management team is following the cash management policy.
- Plan, coordinate and execute special events for the promotion of new launches.
- Educate all Nurtur Professionals, Guest
- Services and Guest Care teams of any new product launches and general product knowledge.
- Proactively managing the service book by identifying opportunities to up-sell services, effectively informing guests of current promotions, maintaining a wait list for services, etc.
- Manage the day-to-day behaviors of the
- Professional Staff including, but not limited to: attendance, dress code inspection, sanitation inspection, service behaviors, professionalism, use of down-time, daily productivity trackers are completed, etc.
- Support the Marketing/Public Relations team in guest outreach initiatives.
- Provide on-going recognition, support, and motivation for Nurtur Professionals and retail/guest services teams.
- Encourage and educate Professionals on their business with benchmarking, education and motivation to move their business forward.
- Utilize the Aveda coaching model to provide one-on-one coaching of behaviors that must be executed on a consistent basis in accordance to the Aveda service cycle while promoting excellence in guest care.
- Maintain and enhance the overall look of the salon.
- Enforce policies and procedures of Nurtur the Salon; serve as a role model.
- Communicate all corporate policies and procedures to team members and ensure compliance.
- Partner with the Salon Coaches to resolve guest challenges in an effective and timely manner.
- Continuously work at creating and nurturing strong working relationships with other teams.
- Project a professional image at all times to internal and external clients.
- Create a sense of urgency; delegate appropriately; motivate self and team to accomplish objectives.
- Follow and implement all Aveda visual presentation standards and guidelines for product launches.
- Ensure that all required floor sets, window changes and collateral placement takes place in a timely manner.
- Recruit, hire and train new team members and help maintain an active candidate pool.
- Administer training programs for selling skills, product knowledge and customer service.
- Manage all functions to properly open and close the store following guidelines and policies.
- Actively participate in meetings, training and conference calls.
- Provide constructive feedback through daily coaching and annual evaluations for guest care and the Professional teams.
- Participate in Aveda and Nurtur Corporate Events including Career Fairs, Chamber Meetings, PR/Marketing Events, Holiday Event, Earth Month, Beauty for a Cure, etc.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Achieving sales goals. Staying within approved budgets. Supervising all bank, and currency transactions.
- Ensure that all team members adhere to the Cash Management Policy.
- Control banking expenditures according to established procedures.
- Maintain personal sales and achieve sales goals.
- Ability to take initiative and accountability for the accuracy of information and for achieving results.
- Motivate self and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals.
- Partnering with salon management to develop action plans to ensure productivity of the salon and Guest Care departments.
- Assistant Salon & Spa Manager
- Salon & Spa Manager
- Salon Director
- All team members of the Nurtur Professional Staff
- Provide a five star level of customer service and ultimate Aveda experience for guests
- Work cohesively with other Guest Care Managers.
- Significant interaction with Professional Staff, Guest Care team members, and guests.
- Interaction with team members from the Institute Support Center and outside vendors.
- This position requires daily use of excellent communication, analytical, computer and problem solving skills. Required to spend majority of work shift interacting with guests, team members and students.
- This position requires open availability and flexibility including mornings, evenings and weekends. The schedule for the Guest Care Manager should reflect time spent for in the moment coaching and working on the floor with the Guest Care Team to achieve business objectives and guest care. Meetings, events and conference calls may fall outside of scheduled hours where your presence is required. The Guest Care Manager is required to coordinate their schedule with the other Guest Care Managers and Assistant Salon & Spa Manager to ensure that one of them is present at the salon during operating hours.
- Must be able to travel occasionally for training, meetings, etc.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Prior experience with guest care in a retail, salon and spa or hospitality industry.
- Time Management: ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
- Organization: ability to demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to make and implement decisions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Eagerness to learn and grow in position.
- Demonstrated aptitude to train new team members.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule; including evenings and weekends.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; articulate in English.
- Strong commitment to customer service excellence.
- Commitment to company mission and vision.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is required to walk; stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day; sit; use hands to handle objects; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, talk and hear. Majority of shift is spent in a standing position or at times a seated position. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include vision and the ability to read documents.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to a noise level that is usually minimal to moderate.