Makeup Artist & Brow Specialist
The below Job Description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by team members assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, and is subject to changes and exceptions at the discretion of senior management.
Job Title: Makeup Artist & Brow Specialist
Position Purpose: Ensure that all guests receive an above and beyond Nurtur experience that exceeds their expectations. Demonstrate a professional and positive attitude representing the Nurtur brand both inside and outside of the workplace. Support the management of the appointment book by partnering with team members and the management team. Focus on business growth by reaching benchmarks in service, retail, and retention.
Competencies: Everyone in the organization must demonstrate these competencies:
Initiative: Taking ownership of our work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
Guest Focus: Striving for high guest satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the guest rather than our department or the Salon
Efficiency: Planning ahead, managing time well, being on time, being cost conscious, thinking of better ways to do things
Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
Quality/Compliance: Achieving a standard of excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring Salon policies and all regulatory requirements
Communication: Balancing listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others, keeping others informed
Coachability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement
People management (for those with direct reports): Setting clear expectations, reviewing progress, providing feedback and guidance, holding people accountable
Essential Job Functions: The duties noted below are considered to be essential job functions for one of the following reasons: performance of duty is why the job exists, failure to perform the duty may have serious consequences, limited number of employees available to perform duty, or the duty requires special skills.
Description of Duties: Work in partnership with the Salon/Spa Manager, Assistant Salon Spa Manager, Guest Care Managers and Guest Services Managers to:
- Continually be focused on hospitality, guest care and service excellence. This includes but is not limited to:
- Each guest is to be verbally greeted in a kind and welcoming manner.
- Treat every guest as if they are your guest.
Provide a tour of the salon and spa to all new guests.
- During times when you are not scheduled with a guest, provide support to other team members to ensure guest satisfaction is met during their service experience. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Assisting the guest service team with making confirmation calls and scheduling appointments.
- Assisting the guest care team with checking guests in/out of the Millennium system.
- Assisting team members who are working with guests.
- Ensure personal station/treatment room is free of hair, dust, debris and wax, hot towels are replenished in hot towel cabby, sanitize the shampoo beds, bowls and zero gravity chairs, restocking color and back bar products, checking in inventory, putting away orders, replenishing and refreshing hospitality table, check magazines to ensure the issues are current and the pages are in good condition, clean hair traps in shampoo bowls, laundry, dishes, providing an overall sanitary environment.
- Follow the Aveda Points of Difference service cycle with every guest as determined by Nurtur. The service cycle includes, but is not limited to:
- Reservation (scheduling of initial appointment)
- Welcome (greet each guest with “Welcome to Nurtur” or “Welcome to Aveda,” offer a beverage and a tour of the salon and spa)
- Consultation (discover needs of guest, outline products being used for service to achieve results, offer visual tools for suggestions and clarify objective, quote pricing for the service, discuss future maintenance)
- Stress Relieving Ritual (head, neck and should massage techniques in zero gravity chair or a hand and arm massage techniques)
- Shampoo Ritual (includes shampoo plus scalp massage)
- Service Ritual (haircut, color)
- Finishing Touch (quick make up application)
- AVEDA Homecare (product recommendations)
- Save the Date (pre-booking)
- Must partner with all team members to ensure a consistent, quality experience for the guest by ensuring their appointments are scheduled accurately. This requires Nurtur professionals educate guest service and guest care teams on specific individual needs; pre-book guests for the appropriate amount of time and services; then look ahead on appointment book to ensure appointments are booked accurately in order to maximize all salon stations and treatment rooms.
- Adhere to State Board Regulations for Cosmetology, including sanitation guidelines.
- Respond to guest challenges in a proactive manner, with ultimate guest satisfaction as the main objective.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Achieve individual productivity goals, which include service, retail and retention goals as determined by your level or as determined by your specified individual goals.
- Develop strategies to achieve retail and service goals and objectives.
- Create strategies to increase personal productivity through
- Self Promotion; marketing inside and outside of salon hours to promote new guests.
- Participation and promotion of marketing campaigns which offer discounts on services
- Up-selling services
- Add-on services
- Pro-actively contact guests who are due back for a service
- Partner with the Salon/Spa Manager and
- Assistant Salon/Spa Manager to create programs to build retention for the Nurtur Professional team.
- Partner with the Salon/Spa Manger and
- Assistant Salon/Spa Manger in compliance with
- Inventory Tracking procedures to ensure accurate and necessary on hand quantities for all supplies and back bar.
- Support and promote Nurtur the Salon inside and outside of the workplace.
- Support the Marketing/Public Relations team in guest outreach initiatives.
- Ability to take initiative and accountability for the accuracy of information and for achieving results.
- Motivate self and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Actively participate in training programs for technical advancement, reservations, selling skills, product knowledge and customer service.
- Actively participate in meetings.
- Serve as a role model to fellow team members:
- Display a positive attitude.
Show courtesy and respect to others.
- Handle operational challenges by completing and submitting a guest services challenge form.
- Always demonstrate professional image at all times in compliance with Nurtur’s dress code policy.
- Comply with all corporate policies and procedure.
- Comply with all regulations as mandated by the Ohio State Board of Cosmetology.
- Display a positive attitude.
- Maintain openness to coaching and ongoing education in both guest care and technical skills.
- Encourage and educate fellow Professionals on their business with benchmarking, education and motivation to move their business forward.
- Participate in on-going education to enhance trade skills.
- Continuously work at creating and nurturing strong working relationships with all Nurtur team members.
- Submit scheduling requests at least eight weeks in advance, unless otherwise approved by leadership.
- Participate in Aveda and Nurtur Corporate Events including Holiday Event, Earth Month, Beauty for a Cure, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Guest Services Manager
- Guest Care Manager
- Assistant Salon Spa Manager
- Salon Spa Manager
- Salon Operations Director
- This position requires daily use of excellent communication, analytical, computer and problem solving skills. Required to spend majority of work shift interacting with guests, and team members.
- This position requires open availability and flexibility including mornings, evenings and weekends.
- Must be able to travel occasionally for training, meetings, etc.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Ohio Cosmetology, Esthiology or Manicurist license or temporary work permit.
- Time Management: ability to logically manage multiple appointments and guests.
- Organization: ability to demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Eagerness to learn and grow in position.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule; including evenings and weekends.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; articulate in English.
- Strong commitment to customer service excellence.
- Commitment to company mission and vision.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is required to walk; stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day; sit; use hands to handle objects; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, talk, see and hear. Majority of shift is spent in a standing position or at times a seated position. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include vision and the ability to read documents.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to a noise level that is usually minimal to moderate.