Salon & Spa Manager
The below job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by team members assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and is subject to changes and exceptions at the discretion of senior management.
Job Title: Salon & Spa Manager
Position Purpose: Logistically manage the salon and spa service areas, guest care, and guest services with a primary focus on identifying business opportunities and ensure guest care is above expectations. Partner with other Managers to provide support and coaching to Nurtur Professionals in order for them to obtain business growth, professionalism and education. Partner with the Salon Director to effectively manage the overall business to grow both the retail and salon business.
Competencies: Everyone in the organization must demonstrate these competencies:
- Initiative: Taking ownership of our work, doing what is needed without being asked, following through
- Guest Focus: Striving for high guest satisfaction, going out of our way to be helpful and pleasant, making it as easy as possible on the guest rather than our department or the Institute
- Efficiency: Planning ahead, managing time well, being on time, being cost conscious, thinking of better ways to do things
- Collegiality: Being helpful, respectful, approachable and team oriented, building strong working relationships and a positive work environment
- Quality/Compliance: Achieving a standard of excellence with our work processes and outcomes, honoring Institute policies and all regulatory requirements
- Communication: Balancing listening and talking, speaking and writing clearly and accurately, influencing others, keeping others informed
- Coach-ability: Being receptive to feedback, willing to learn, embracing continuous improvement
- People management (for those with direct reports): Setting clear expectations, reviewing progress, providing feedback and guidance, holding people accountable
Essential Job Functions: The duties noted below are considered to be essential job functions for one of the following reasons: performance of duty is why the job exists, failure to perform the duty may have serious consequences, limited number of employees available to perform duty, or the duty requires special skills.
- 30% of time spent on day-to-day operations
- 30% of time spent actively coaching, managing and connecting with team members on goals and business objectives
- 40% of time spent on strategic planning to enhance business operations and opportunities
Description of Duties:
- Demonstrate a strong understanding that the spa/salon industry is “high touch,” meaning that it requires strong interpersonal skills and attention to the needs of others. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Ability to be both positive and cooperative
- Ability to empathize with others
- Ability to be aware of my impact on others
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to accept and use feedback from instructors, staff and students
- Ability to motivate myself
- Ability to learn from experience
- Ability to deal with frustration in a constructive manner
- Ability to deal with conflict in a constructive manner
- Ability to express feelings effectively and appropriately
- Ability to take responsibility for myself
- Ability to demonstrate self-knowledge, self-acceptance, and emotional stability
- Ability to demonstrate professional conduct at all times.
- Coach the Nurtur Professional team to ensure they are focused on hospitality, guest care and service excellence.
- Provide daily support to Nurtur Professional team to ensure guests satisfaction is met during their service experience.
- Support company initiatives by ensuring productivity goals are met through managing the appointment book. This includes, but is not limited to: monitor appointment book for availability, ensure team members are up-selling services, etc.
- Ensure the salon is meeting its hiring needs. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Recruit, hire and train new members of both the Professional staff, Guest Care and Guest Services.
- Take a proactive approach to building a “people-page” by continuously interviewing for potential openings for the guest care and guest service teams, attending recruiting events, etc.
- Actively recruit for quarterly Nurtur Talent stylist education program
- Create the schedule for both the Professional, Guest Care and Guest Services teams ensuring that it is within budget and is within the needs of the business.
- Oversee all ordering with Aveda and outside vendors.
- Oversee the planning, coordination and execution of a complete and accurate physical inventory as required.
- Create and utilize existing systems to ensure the Inventory budget is met.
- Update computer system to accurately reflect
- Nurtur Professionals’ pricing, schedules, and services.
- Review appointment book to ensure appointments are scheduled correctly and productively.
- Create programs and strategies that increase guest retention and satisfaction. Includes, but is not limited to:
- Contact guests to reschedule canceled appointments
- Send “thank you” notes to new guests
- Proactively manage the service book by identifying opportunities to up-sell services
- Coordinate events for guest appreciation
- Utilize Demand Force to identify opportunities that create repeat business
- Ensure that the guest database is utilized and maintained for phone calls, product launches, events, and appointments in conjunction with the Company’s guest program.
- Manage the day-to-day behaviors of the Professional Staff including, but not limited to: attendance, dress code inspection, sanitation inspection, service behaviors, professionalism, use of down-time, daily productivity trackers are completed, etc.
- Support the Marketing team in guest outreach initiatives.
- Provide on-going recognition, support, and motivation for Nurtur Professionals, guest care and guest services teams.
- Encourage and educate Professionals on their business with benchmarking, education and motivation to move their business forward.
- Maintain and enhance the overall look of the salon and initiate any maintenance needs.
- Enforce policies and procedures of Nurtur the Salon; serve as a role model.
- Communicate all corporate policies and procedures to team members and ensure compliance.
- Partner with the Salon Coaches to resolve guest challenges in an effective and timely manner.
- Partner with the Salon Coaches to continuously review and enhance the Nurtur stylist education program.
- Assist Salon Director with coordination of Nurtur Talent orientation.
- Mediate conflict resolution between team members as needed.
- Coordinate education for all Nurtur team members.
- Partner with Aveda Institute Columbus leadership to:
- Provide constructive feedback to Institute regarding new hires, etc.
- Assist with Gamma interviews for students
- Continuously work at creating and nurturing strong working relationships with other teams.
- Project a professional image at all times to internal and external clients.
- Actively participate in meetings, training and conference calls.
- Participate in Aveda and Nurtur Corporate Events including Career Fairs, Chamber Meetings, PR/Marketing Events, Holiday Event, Earth Month, Beauty for a Cure, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Team Member Development:
- Encourage, motivate and develop our management staff.
- Delegate appropriately; motivate self and team to accomplish objectives.
- Provide on-going recognition, support, and motivation for Nurtur Professionals, guest care and guest services teams.
- Support the Salon & Spa Manager in coaching to the service behaviors expected from the Nurtur
- Professional staff in regards to the guest care experience.
- Utilize the Aveda coaching model to provide one-on-one coaching of behaviors that must be executed on a consistent basis in accordance to the Aveda service cycle while promoting excellence in guest care.
- Assist Salon Director with semi-annual evaluations of team members.
- Provide constructive feedback through daily coaching and semi-annual evaluations for staff.
- Achieving sales goals. Staying within approved budgets. Supervising all bank, and currency transactions.
- Ensure that all team members are adhering to the Cash Management Policy.
- Control banking expenditures according to established procedures
- Maintain personal sales and achieve sales goals
Ability to take initiative and accountability for the accuracy of information and for achieving results
- Motivate self and others to overcome obstacles and achieve goals
- Partner with the Salon Director to develop action plans to ensure productivity of the salon and guest care departments.
- Salon Operations Director
- All team members of the Nurtur Professional Staff
- Assistant Salon & Spa Manager
- Guest Care Team
- Guest Services Team
- Provide a five star level of customer service and ultimate Aveda experience for guests
Significant interaction with Professional Staff, Guest Care team members, and guests.
- Interaction with team members from the Institute Support Center and outside vendors.
- This position requires daily use of excellent communication, analytical, computer and problem solving skills. Required to spend majority of work shift interacting with guests and team members.
- This position requires open availability and flexibility including mornings, evenings and weekends. The schedule for the Salon/Spa Manager should reflect time spent for in the moment coaching and working on the floor with the Nurtur Coaches, Nurtur Professionals and Assistant Salon/Spa Manager to achieve business objectives and guest care. Meetings, events and conference calls may fall outside of scheduled hours where your presence is required. Salon & Spa Managers are required to coordinate their schedule with the Assistant Salon & Spa Manager as well as the Salon Director to ensure that one of them is present at the salon daily.
- Must be able to travel occasionally for training, meetings, etc.
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Bachelor’s degree a plus.
- Prior leadership experience with guest care in a retail, salon and spa or hospitality industry.
- Leadership: demonstrated ability to lead people and get results through others.
- Time Management: ability to organize and manage multiple projects.
- Organization: ability to demonstrate strong organizational skills.
- Ability to make and implement decisions.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Eagerness to learn and grow in position.
- Demonstrated aptitude to train new team members.
- Demonstrated ability to provide excellent presentations.
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Willing to work a flexible schedule; including evenings and weekends.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; articulate in English.
- Strong commitment to customer service excellence.
- Commitment to company mission and vision.
Physical Demands and Work Environment: The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is required to walk; stand for a minimum of eight (8) hours per day; sit; use hands to handle objects; reach with hands and arms; balance, stoop, talk and hear. Majority of shift is spent in a standing position or at times a seated position. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include vision and the ability to read documents.
Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the team member is exposed to a noise level that is usually minimal to moderate.